Hot Oil/Pre-Wash Treatments for Hair
Black hair is inherently fragile and dry. It curls and kinks around itself tighter and tighter the dryer the hair is which leads to breakage, mid-shaft splits, and nightmare detangle sessions. Ladies that are growing out their relaxers and opting for natural hair via a long term transition will often experience breakage at the line of demarcation--the line that separates the relaxed hair from the natural hair. Giving your hair a hot oil treatment is one of the best ways to nurse dry, brittle hair back to health. It is also a great treatment for dry scalp conditions and dandruff and you also cannot ignore the incredible shine this treatment imparts to the hair.
Hot oil treatments/pre-wash treatments also help to save your cuticles from the harshness of shampoos. Shampoo, even sulfate free shampoo, can cause cuticle damage as it washes away dirt, oils, debris, etc. You never want "squeaky clean" hair. Hair that is "squeaky clean" can be dry, brittle, and prone to breakage. The hot oil treatment/pre-wash treatment penetrates the hair shaft to provide nutrients to the cortex while also coating the cuticle to protect it from shampoo. Its an awesome way to prevent breakage...which we all know is the key to hair growth.
Is a hot oil treatment the same as a pre-wash treatments?
Essentially, yes. The hot oil treatment and pre-wash treatment are performed the same way. Hot oil treatments have historically been done after the shampoo has been shampooed and deep conditioned. I find the treatment most effective when performed before the hair is shampooed and paired with heat to open the cutcles.
What are the benefits of a hot oil treatment/pre-wash?
- Softer hair
- Conditioned hair
- Less tangles
Great, I'm on board. How do I do a hot oil treatment/pre-wash?
- Using your fingers, divide your hair into 4-6 sections. If your hair is prone to becoming extremely tangled, consider placing your hair in loose twists and keeping them in twists until it is time to shampoo or co-wash your hair.
- Heat an all natural oil, such as SoVAiN Hair Like Silk, in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Alternatively, you can also heat on the stove for 5-10 minutes. The goal is to have the oil be warm but NOT HOT.
- SoVAiN Hair Like Silk oils are high in saturated fat which means their molecules are
small enough to penetrate into the hair shaft. All you have to do is
soak your hair in the oil and let it absorb. Never use an oil that contains mineral oil or silicones. Not only do these products not contain any health benefits for your hair, but they will sit on top of your hair and block nutrients from penetrating the cuticle to provide benefits to the cortex. Moreover, the mineral oil and silicones will attract dirt, debris, etc. Blech! Pure, edible oils are the only way to go.
- Wet the hair slightly so that it’s damp but not soaking. Apply the mixture evenly from root to tip and massage generously into the scalp. This is especially helpful if you suffer from dandruff.
- Once the oil is applied to all the hair cover with a plastic cap and
apply a warm towel over the top. Let the oil sit in your hair for a couple of hours to allow for maximum penetration. (BTW...I learned this weekend its much more effective to put the towel in the microwave than the dryer...gets much warmer!) Alternatively, sit under a dryer set to "low heat" for about 30-45 minutes.
- Jump in the shower and coat the hair with SoVAiN Deep Moisture Repair Conditioner. Let sit for about 5 minutes before using a wide tooth comb to detangle and remove the twists.
- Shampoo hair with diluted shampoo or co-wash as normal. Follow with a deep condition.
- Be consistent. Regular pre-wash treatments will significantly cut down on dry, tangled, brittle hair.
Ladies do you give yourself hot oil treatments? Have they been effective for you?
Happy hair growing! Stay VAiN!